Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wedding Band: Take Two

The summer days are quickly dwindling, and I'm so sad to see them go. But luckily I feel as though I really had time to rest, de-stress, get a few things done around the house, and enjoy lots of time with Terry and Scout. While I'm sure I could have done more, I feel ready to get back to work next week. Today I worked on my syllabi, first few weeks of lesson plans, and some reading, and I also did a bit of studying for my certification. These days are numbered, but I appreciate every one.

I also appreciate the fact that I've been able to see Terry more than once this summer during his work day. Today I picked him up a little early from work to head downtown, where we picked up his new wedding band!

So shiny

His original band was too big, apparently a common occurrence for guys because they aren't used to wearing rings and don't want one to be too tight. But since we chose a tungsten band, the ring couldn't be resized. We chose the new one, which is lighter in color but otherwise very similar, last week, and it fits perfectly. We kept the old one and figured it'll be a funny story and family heirloom for the future. If we have two sons, they can fight over who gets the original and who gets the new one.

Upon our arrival home, we scooted out the door for a midweek run, but Terry wasn't feeling great, so we kept it short and sweet sweaty. Then I assembled this little meal:

whole wheat mini pitas, spinach, tomato slices, red onion, pepperoncinis, and cucumber



The Greek turkey burgers turned out perfectly: crisp crunch from the veggies, creamy hummus, and some chips and grapes to complement the main dish. Perfect for a hot summer night.

Tomorrow I'm driving up north to see my parents, and Terry will join on Thursday. We're spending some time in the city, too, a belated mini-getaway for our one-year anniversary. Thanks to rewards points, our hotel room is free! We're planning to do lots of walking, eating, and sightseeing. San Francisco is my favorite city in the U.S., so of course I can't wait to spend a night there with Terry for the first time.

Tonight we're enjoying some down time, packing for the trip, and prepping some road trip snacks for me. I have a doctor's appointment in the morning for which I have to fast (aka skip breakfast). Skipping breakfast is worse for me than missing any other meal, and I'm honestly dreading it. Obviously I'll forego the morning workout and likely take a walk with my parents when I get to their house. But once that appointment is over I'll want a healthy meal and lots of snacks for the road. So far, the plan includes:

  • Leftovers from tonight (before I leave the house)
  • Apple slices
  • Trail mix
  • Banana
  • Grapes
  • Lots of water
Since I'm driving alone, everything needs to be within easy reach and easy to eat without making a mess or distracting me from the road. Safety first!

What's been your favorite road trip?
I remember driving back to LA after our wedding and honeymoon, just me and Terry, and we had so much fun talking about the future, reminiscing about our trip to Europe, just relishing the fact that we were married.

If you could take a road trip anywhere, where would you go?
I would LOVE to drive all the way across the country. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh terry's new ring is pretty :) You have so many amazing things coming up this week. I'm so excited for you, and can't wait to hear all about them :) Have a safe drive after your appointment girl!

    ReplyDelete