Saturday, November 24, 2012

And After All That...

It was a fantastic week!

We beat $C. We went wine tasting and spent time with my parents. Thanksgiving. I baked.

Today was really nice, too, despite the Bruin loss.

Some cuddling

A great boot camp workout this morning.


A fun game, if you ignored the scoreboard.


And after all that, Terry and I both mentioned today that we just weren't feeling great. It wasn't anything specific for either of us. He has a little cold, but it wasn't that. Finally we acknowledged that it's probably just a matter of indulging a bit this week. Of course Thanksgiving was a special occasion, but it was surrounded by two football tailgates, a day of wine tasting, and two "big" dinners with my parents. We ate more meat this week than we normally would in over a month, by my estimate. We had a few more glasses of wine over the week than our typical intake. We drank less water and ate fewer fruits and vegetables. And we moved less, which I think affected me most.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional week like this one. Some indulgences can be very healthy, as I've said before (you know I love my daily dessert!). I really believe that once-in-awhile treats (including non-food treats) are good for us and important for keeping us on track.

I also think indulgences are so healthy because they remind me how good I feel when I'm staying active, hydrated, health conscious with my food choices. (And, conversely, how not-great I feel in other cases.) I haven't felt great this week, though it's been fun, and I'm eager to get back to my usual routine.

More of this!


Tomorrow we'll go for a walk in the morning, and we'll enjoy some oatmeal for breakfast. Simple things like that help me immediately feel better.

What was your favorite indulgence this week? 
Mine was definitely relaxing. I didn't let myself feel (too) guilty about not doing something every minute of the day, I watched some movies, I slept in. It was fantastic!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Julie! I recently stumbled upon your blog, and I'm loving it. :) I whole-heartedly agree with your treat-a-day methodology. I'm a subscriber myself. My favorite indulgence this past week was allowing myself those few extra warm, cozy moments under the covers in the morning before getting out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indulgences from time to time are always a good thing - remember all things in moderation! :) I definitely enjoyed some candied yams and a small slice of mint pie at Thanksgiving and it was amazing. I'm spending today in my pajamas, running a few errands and meeting a friend for some coffee. Today is about relaxing and rejuvenating my mind and body. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree with this post! i definitely indulged a little bit over the holiday but i think my favorite part was that it made me realize how much i do love eating healthy and how amazing it makes me feel. there's definitely room for pie in every day life, but i also think there's something to be said for trying to eat clean most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I def agree with you! This weekend I indulged in relaxing! I haven't slept in for about nine months now, since before my baby was born and I enjoyed every minute of it!! No guilt here, but I will get my butt moving tomorrow! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE your outlook on indulging over the holidays. I truly do believe that being healthy isn't just about all the fruits & vegetables you eat, it's also about being able to treat yourself to delicious foods from time to time. It's all about moderation :)

    ReplyDelete