Sunday, November 18, 2012

Guest Post: Flexibility Training

Well, another weekend come and gone. Between the big game yesterday (I noticed today that all my nails have mysteriously been bitten off) and some wine tasting today with my parents, these two days just flew! Thankfully, I'm excited to have one more awesome guest post for you as I gear up for a full week off. (Rough life, I know.)

I had the pleasure of meeting Katie at BLEND Retreat this year, and she and I both happen to be studying for the same exam. Her post today is incredibly informative and beneficial--for me and you! Enjoy!

--------------------

Hi Everyone!

My name is Katie and I blog over at Talk Less, Say More where I share my healthy living journey, fitness tips and sometimes even some good music!


 I’m a music manager turned healthy living and fitness enthusiast and like Julie, I’m in the middle of studying for my NASM Certified Personal Trainer exam.  Fingers crossed for some good news in the coming weeks... ;) <-- Good luck, Katie!!!

While Julie is busy studying away, I’m so excited to be able take over her corner of the internet for a little bit today.  You see, I too should be studying but when Julie asked if I’d be interested in guest posting for a day, I couldn’t say no.  Besides, a little writing would be a good break from having my head stuffed in a book and I figured I could find a way to also make this beneficial for both myself and Julie.  <--Thanks! 

You might be asking how?

You see Flexibility Training is an important aspect of a fitness training program and often one that can be overlooked.  And since it goes a bit deeper than sitting on the floor and stretching it out after a workout, I thought I’d take the moment to share the different kinds of flexibility training programs and what they consist of.  I hope you’re able to take something away from this (and Julie - study up! ;) )



Now don’t go yelling at me for talking nonsense (just yet), I’m going to break down the different stretching techniques which will hopefully make this easier to understand.

I hope that info-graph helped break down the various stretching techniques.  If you’re anything like me, you might be slightly intimidated but think about your workout regimen and what’s missing - chances are it’s flexibility training.  And if you’re really like me, you’re highly intimidated by foam rolling (self-myofascial release); I promise that despite it being a bit awkward at first, there’s no reason to be afraid - just do it!



And as always, remember that flexibility techniques should only be performed on muscles that have been identified as overactive or tight.

Hopefully you were all able to learn a little something about flexibility training or at least understand the importance and different techniques.  And hopefully I didn’t scare you all too much. ;)

Stop by Katie's blog for more of her awesome healthy posts!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for having me & now, back to the books! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Katie! I should really do better with my flexibility training...like most people, I tend to hurry into/out of a workout without much thought to stretching. You know that 5 mile run I mentioned? Yeah, I stretched (static and active-isolated to be exact! ;)) for oh about 3 minutes and I should have done a LOT more because here I am now, a couple hours from heading to bed and I already know that I'm going to wake up walking around like a cripple! Lol Guess there's some self-myofascial release in my very near future! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome because flexibility is something I want to work on!

    ReplyDelete