Thursday, November 29, 2012

Make a Bad Day Good

Today started off the way the rest of this week started: hitting the snooze alarm approximately twelve times (sadly, not much of an exaggeration), stumbling around the house to get ready, spilling some of my tea on the way to the car (yep, happened more than once this week). But after a few minutes at work, I noticed how grumpy I was acting, and I decided to make this bad day good.

In college, one of my jobs was counseling incoming students (it's actually the job where Terry and I met), and I received some excellent training. One video we watched, Fish!, taught four steps for loving your job and creating a positive atmosphere at work. The fourth step is "choose your attitude"--essentially, you decide how you feel and act each day by choosing your attitude.

Today, I chose my attitude. Instead of letting a rough week and a rough morning get to me, I took a deep breath and mentally prepared for the day ahead. The result:

  • Productivity. I used every spare moment today to grade papers, enter scores, write e-mails to parents, get ahead on lesson planning. I was on fire! There's nothing like getting a lot done to make me feel good.
  • Positive energy with my students. I tried to greet all my students by name as they came into class (I have two doors in my room, so this was more challenging than you might think), I kept my patience, I kept it light. The kids responded positively, or at least I didn't let it bother me if they didn't.
  • A fun drive home. I called my dad, I listened to Christmas music, I called a friend to hear about her job interview (GOOD LUCK!!!). The familiarity and comfort of it all made me so happy.
  • A great workout. Honestly, I wasn't up for my boot camp plans (again), so I hit the gym with Terry and made up my own strength training workout. It was effective and tough, even though I wasn't exactly excited about going to the gym. Hey, when you're not in the mood to do cardio, go for some strength training instead.

If you're wondering about some of those moves:
One Leg DeadliftDumbbell Reverse FlyOne Arm Dumbbell RowChest FlySide LungesL-Raises (<--Tina's website!)
Triceps ExtensionLeg Lift and Lowers
  • A delicious meal. I tossed around the idea of eating out or ordering in, but we had some grass-fed beef calling me, so I threw together a 30-minute bolognese with beef, carrots, spinach, garlic, marinara, and red wine. So easy, so quick, so delicious!


It turned out to be a good day. Not a great one, and not the best day ever. With any luck, tomorrow will be better. But it wasn't horrible. And it could have been much worse. So I'll take it!

How do you choose your attitude?

11 comments:

  1. love this post! i think that sometimes i stay in a bad mood simply because i let myself, but it's important to remember that we can pretty much always find something to be happy about if we look for it. also that workout looks great (and tough!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point--we just have to look for the stuff to be happy about!

      Delete
  2. Hey Julie! I love this. First thing's first, I'm AMAZED at how you can blog AND teach. I taught for one year (6th grade, last year), and even if I did have time leftover at night, I definitely didn't have the stamina to keep up a full-time blog. So congrats on that, girl! :) Second of all, thanks for sharing. I've been in a funk this week, and I'm a total believer in choosing your attitude. Some days it's really, REALLY hard, but I usually try to expose myself to moodlifters, such as a quick texting session with a friend, watching an Ellen snip-it on youtube or something that I know will make me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Haley! It's sometimes a little tough time-wise, but I just love blogging so much. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. these are great little tips to remember. if anything, i crank up tunes and sing away. always a mood booster. also laughing at crazy youtube videos help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard once that singing in the car is great stress relief, so I do it all the time!

      Delete
  4. I am an elementary school teacher in Missouri and I also had taining on Fish! I love the philosophy. You post was a great reminder to me about the Fish! training I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so great that your school sponsored Fish! training! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. I love this post. Becoming productive by getting some things done is a great idea. That always does cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely had to do some "attitude choosing" lately and one way I do this is through BREATHING. As simple as it seems, sometimes it just requires me to BREATHE a bit deeper or exhale a bit more to release tension and then remind myself how grateful I am for the little things in my life.

    ReplyDelete