Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Back to Normal - Kind Of

I'm feeling good after a rough day at work and a wonderful night with my mom. Today I got an incredible surprise: When I walked in the house, I noticed how tidy the house was! Mom had cleaned the whole apartment and made a wonderful dinner for Terry and I to enjoy later this week (post to come, I promise).

The good thing about your mom staying with you (aside from the clean house and awesome comfort food) is that you can continue with your normal routine. Mom and I chatted for a few minutes and then I changed into my new workout clothes to head out for a run. I made it two and a quarter miles without stopping and felt incredible. There is nothing like a workout to blow off steam after a tough day at work! If you have a tough day, I seriously recommend getting 25 minutes of cardio in to destress and unwind. Nothing feels better!

After my awesome run, we spent 10 minutes stretching together. Since we're both super sore from our yoga class, we could have used another 30 minutes! I showered and then let Mom take care of dinner. As a special treat, we had cosmos before dinner with appetizers and then Mom's chicken fajitas. Yum! She threw in black beans, yellow and orange bell peppers, onions, chicken breast, avocado, pepperjack cheese, and lettuce. Delicious! And it totally reminded me of my childhood! I guess that's what moms are for. :-)

Delicious chicken fajitas
We spent the rest of the evening chatting and watching The Biggest Loser. I don't know if I've mentioned enough how much I love this show! Tonight's focus was "I don't have time to be healthy." How often have you heard that one? How often have you said that one? I know I've thought it plenty of times, but I also know it's completely ridiculous.  We all make choices about how we spend our time; it's a matter of creating priorities. If we make work, going out, or TV a priority, we can certainly find a way to make time for a workout or for a healthy, homemade meal. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I know now that I need to find ways to make my health - and the healthy of my family - a priority.

What are your priorities? Do you find that you put other things above your health? If so, what? And, more importantly, why?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have time to workout... I've been at work for 16 hours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved being there with you Julie! Mom

    ReplyDelete