Sunday, January 29, 2012

Scout Alarm Clock

I really love mornings when the cat wakes us up instead of an alarm. At least when it isn't 4:30 a.m. Today he woke us up at 8:17, and since I wrote a late post last night, I appreciated the extra sleep. Then we were up and out for a tough three-mile run. Halfway through, when we were collecting ourselves for the second 1.5 miles, I pointed out to Terry that our half marathon will require us to complete this workout...times 4...plus 1 more mile. Yikes.

The rest of the day consisted of banana-walnut pancakes, cleaning and organizing the house, a mishmash of leftovers for lunch, and completing a few projects we've been meaning to finish.
Banana-walnut pancakes and hot tea

World's most delicious chocolate macaroons from a local Italian deli

Better than any coconut cookie I've ever eaten

Tonight we had two of our good friends over for dinner, and I made meatloaf for dinner for the first time. Can you believe I've never made meatloaf? (Well, maybe you can believe it; what do I know what you think I've made?) Oddly, I've never cared for meatloaf (no offense, Mom!), so I found it odd that people generally find this meal to be one that they enjoy. As luck would have it, I've recently acquired two meatloaf recipes from different people - my dad and my coworker. Both claim theirs is the best they've ever had, so I simply had to compare.

The first, which I made tonight, is from my dad via Cuisine at Home.

Meatloaf with Barbecue Glaze (adapted from Cuisine at Home)
Serves 2 (we doubled it)
Moist and mouthwatering meatloaf


  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons purchased barbecue sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard*
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 5 ounces ground beef
  • 5 ounces ground turkey
For the glaze, combine the following:
  • 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard*
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
*I tasted a lot of mustard in the end result, so I would reduce the mustard next time.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil; top the foil with a rack (I used a cooling rack). In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and breadcrumbs. Whisk in the barbecue sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper. Set aside. Mince (or use the food processor) the onion, garlic, carrot, and parsley. 

In a large bowl, combine the egg/sauce mixture, onion mixture, and meats. Divide the mixture into two mini loaves and place on the rack atop the baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes, then brush on the maple syrup glaze. Bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until the loaves reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Allow to sit for a few minutes before slicing and serving.


This meatloaf kicked butt! Everyone loved it and asked for seconds. The meatloaf was extremely moist, and the tangy flavor gave a nice complement to the meat. We have one loaf leftover and intend to use it for sandwiches tomorrow night. I'm already excited!

We enjoyed the meatloaf with sweet potato fries and a spinach-pecan-pear-poppyseed salad.
Sweet potato fries, family style


Spinach-pear-pecan-poppyseed salad
For dessert, Devon and Peter brought Eton Mess (an English dessert of creme and strawberries) and a three-berry pie. Perfect way to end the meal!
Pie and Eton Mess - yum!
We had a great time catching up with Peter and Devon. Peter is originally from the UK, so we got to chat a lot about all of our different experiences in London. Embarrassingly, Terry and I are now obsessed with London, which our apartment decor doesn't hide very well. From our "God Save the Queen" Union Jack pillow to the teddy bear dressed as a bobby to a giant picture frame in the shape of an English phone booth, we certainly seem like Anglophiles. We're just too awesome.

It was a great Saturday! Too bad weekends fly by so quickly; I wish we could have another day of a Scout alarm clock and awesome dinner guests. But tomorrow looks nice, too: Road Runner and lunch with friends!

What recipe have you never made but want to try? 

Are you a meatloaf fan?

1 comment:

  1. The other week Jasmine and I ran 4 miles on 3 different days (for a total of 12) and I was thinking how we ran fewer miles in a week than we will run in the half marathon. Haha!

    ReplyDelete