Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Girls' Day Out

Usually Mondays are the type of day you just power through until 8:00, when you can finally sit down and watch How I Met Your Mother. Today was the exact opposite! 

As you might remember, Mom is in town for a few days, so we all slept in a little and then took our time eating breakfast and getting ready for the day. Sadly, our first order of business was dropping off Terry at the airport, but we're taking heart in the fact that he's only gone for a few more days and then home for a long time. Thank goodness; I miss my husband!

Thankfully, Mom's a great distraction and a fun buddy for a few days. We headed out to El Segundo and Redondo Beach for some shopping at Home Goods and TJ Maxx. I desperately needed some new workout pants, and TJ Maxx certainly delivered - I found four capri pants and a cute pair of shorts, each under $15. Not bad! 

Sadly, these shoes ended up in the "No" pile
We worked up quite an appetite shopping, so we headed to Islands for a surprisingly delicious and satisfying meal. I really can't get over how amazing my grilled veggie tacos were! I'm inspired to try them at home...

Grilled veggie tacos with red bell peppers, avocado,
zucchini, black beans, mushrooms, and cheese.

Mom's Chinese chicken salad, also very yummy
 Then it was off to an awesome yoga class with my friend Jenn. My mom's up for anything, so this class, which Jenn and I have taken a few times, got her excited. It was a combination of traditional yoga and martial arts. And it kicked our butts. 90 minutes of crazy moves, squat punches, warrior poses, and sweat. But it felt incredible, and we look forward to the next class!

She still looks adorable even after 90 minutes of yoga.
After yoga, Mom and I were starving and ready for a good meal. I made us some turkey burgers.
Turkey Burgers
Serves 4
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Whole-wheat hamburger buns
  • Condiments of your choice (we used pepper-jack cheese, lettuce, ketchup, and whole-grain mustard)
Hand-mix the turkey with the spices and divide into four patties. Heat a grill pan over medium heat and cook the patties for about 7 minutes on each side, covering with foil for the last 4 minutes on the second side. The burgers should be firm to the touch when they are done. If you're using cheese, place the cheese atop the burgers for the last two minutes (with foil) to let it melt a bit. Toast the buns and serve with condiments of your choice.


Mom's Brussels Sprouts
 Brussels Sprouts
Serves 4

  • 30 Brussels sprouts, rinsed and halved
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss the sprouts, oil, and salt on a cookie sheet and cover with foil. Roast for 5 minutes; then remove the foil and cook for 5 more minutes. The sprouts should be slightly caramelized - and delicious! Serve warm. 

Champagne makes every meal better!
Despite missing Terry, it was a great night. I'm glad I get to have Mom in town for one more night!

And of course, cuddle time with Scout

2 comments:

  1. i cant get over how adorable scout is! I want to snuggle that little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I can't get over it, either! He makes us laugh every day. :-)

    ReplyDelete