Saturday, January 21, 2012

Smoothilicious

Earlier this week, I threw some almost-out-for-the-count bananas into a Tupperware and into the freezer, intending to make some banana ice cream. But then, some strange craving for a smoothie came over me.

I call it strange because I'm really not a smoothie person. I really don't like fruit-based drinks, including fruit juice. But I got the inspiration to try something new, and I feel like it was the best decision I've made so far today. (The fact that it's only 8:21 a.m. should in no way undermine the awesomeness of this choice.)


All-in-One Breakfast Smoothie
Makes about 24 ounces - I swear I saved half for tomorrow

All-in-One Breakfast Smoothie


  • 2 bananas, frozen*
  • 6 ounces blackberries, frozen*
  • 4-6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I recommend crunchy!)
*If you use thawed fruit, you may need to freeze the smoothie to chill it before drinking.

Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Be sure that you have an extra loud blender and wake up all your neighbors. Enjoy.


Look at those yummy layers! Protein, fruit, calcium, and whole grains!

Thick, but not too thick. 

Scout loves straws, so I knew this would happen,
but I had to take a picture of him before he got to it.

This smoothie filled me up (thanks to the yogurt and oats) and tasted delicious. It was like peanut butter and jelly. Amazing. For variety, you could totally use strawberries or blueberries and yield the same result, or a mixture of berries for more depth of flavor. I also imagine that other varieties of juice would work; I just had apple on hand.

I have made exactly four smoothies in my life, so I'd love to try some new recipes with unique ingredients, like the oats in this one. What is your favorite smoothie recipe? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment