Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Health Articles for Your Consideration

Tonight I want to share some articles that have sparked my interest around the interwebs. I always enjoy finding little nuggets of wisdom or food for thought, especially regarding health, food, and exercise. I hope you find these interesting! I've included a few questions and would love to hear what you think. Comment below or e-mail me!


  • YouTube video: A little girl conducts an experiment comparing the toxins in regular, supermarket organic, and truly organic sweet potatoes.
Does this video inspire you to do more research on organic foods? What did you think about the fact that the chlorpropham is tested on animals - and kills them?

Do you feel this move undermines Weight Watchers as a leading weight loss brand? Does it make you feel as though McNuggets are a healthy choice?

At the end, the article quotes Deen saying, “Honey I’m your cook, not your doctor. You are going to have to be responsible for yourself.” Do you feel her cooking show - or any cooking show, for that matter - is right to have an attitude where they claim no responsibility for health? Should cooking shows make a more conscious effort to encourage good health?

Should we be celebrating reaching a plateau in obesity? Do you agree with Dr. Rice's assertion that we shouldn't get too excited about this finding?

Let us all know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to comment, but haven't been able to get to a computer to do so (typing on a phone is no fun). So I know it's a few days late, but wanted to say a few things.

    First off, the Weight Watcher's article is a head scratcher. It definitely seems like a money grab and I don think it undermines the brand of Weight Watchers. Then again, WW has not sold themselves as being a "healthy lifestyle" approach to food, but rather a "weight loss" approach, which aren't necessarily the same thing.

    I'm not a huge fan of Paula Deen, but it has nothing to do with her food or cooking, and moreso that she just annoys me. I am sad to hear that she has been diagnosed with diabetes, but it does not surprise me considering the food she makes on a regular basis. The interesting quote for me was that she's eating the same thing that her grandmother ate, but you also have to consider that Grandma Deen was probably living a very different lifestyle than Paula (considering the era in which her grandmother would have most likely grown up in, there was probably a lot more activity, day to day).

    And as for obesity rates plateauing, it's something to acknowledge, but not celebrate. We still have a long way to go for the rate to decline, and not only for people to be less obese, but healthier as well.

    I didn't mean for this to sound like a rant if it comes across that way. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete